The Role of the Sports Physiotherapist
- January 31, 2021
- Zara Queen
Sports physiotherapists are extremely important for people who pursue athletic and sporty activities professionally and regularly. Frequent physical exertion can cause muscular injuries, fatigue and displacements, which not only can be crucial to a sportsman’s career but can even cause permanent damage to the physical health. Experienced Physiotherapy in Newtown physiotherapists can play a vital role in sports organizations, and private practices.
Sports physiotherapists are trained to treat and avoid sports injuries in sportsmen. They have knowledge in their field and specialized training. Sports physiotherapists work with experienced professional athletes as well as people who play sports for fun n healthy lifestyle. They use physical activity to improve daily performance and devise ways to improve the recovery rate of athletes from injury or chronic pain.
Sports physiotherapists help in deriving training plans for athletes, diagnose and treat injuries, along with preventing injuries occurring again. Their core focus is preventing injury, reinstating optimal function, and enhancing sport performance.
If you are looking to understand the role of a sports physiotherapist, this article is exactly what you need to read. Here are some of the top ways that sports physiotherapists can help athletes and sports enthusiasts.
Pain relief: Sports physiotherapist provides immediate medical supplement to relief pain depending on the nature of the injury. Some of the widely used techniques to treat injuries are
- Cold therapy –minimize pain and inflammation by using ice packs and ice massage.
- Heat Therapy –increase blood flow to speed healing, by using moist heat packs.
- Kinesiology Tapping–instant pain reliever, it permits athletes remaining active while injured.
- Dry Needling- which can ease or relieve muscular tension.
Injury Recovery: Injuries in sports cannot be prevented. However, sports physiotherapists with their experience and physio’s knowledge, increase rate of recovery from injury and improve healing time through exercises and medications. Their recovery techniques include clinical evaluation, history diagnosis and effective tactics to bring back athlete to their optimal performance.
Prevention: Sports physiotherapists risk management skills come in hand to avoid potential injury. With vast knowledge in an athlete’s sport and medical history, sports physiotherapists help reduce the risk of injury.
Promote Relaxation: Individuals with a balanced lifestyle lead a happier and healthier life and make a great sports person. Sports physiotherapist should have experienced in relaxing muscular tension. Such as
- Soft Tissue Massage –circular movement massage of soft tissue relaxes tight muscles, ligaments, fascia, reduce swelling & tightness.
- Joint Massage– minimizes painful stiffness in joints and improve joint range of motion.
- Stretching tips– stretching techniques diminishes muscle soreness and increase mental & physical relaxation.
- Motion Exercises –increase or maintain flexibility and to reduce stiffness.
- Balance & Co-ordination Exercises –helps in building fitness, prevent injuries, increases core strength.
Sports Physiotherapists as counsellors: Athletes can often get distressed and anxious either due to a spree of failures or due to injury or pain. This requires proper counselling to keep the spirits uplifted. Sports physiotherapists often also function as sports counsellors for athletes. An experienced sports physiotherapist also assesses the intake of Nutritional supplements for athletes to make sure that you’re obtaining the proper intake for your physical activities.